In this article on Naijaknowhow, I’ll be showing you how to appear offline on Facebook. Facebook has a feature that enables users to determine whether a particular user is currently online or offline. Nevertheless, this feature can prove to be bothersome.
It is particularly so if you wish to avoid unwarranted attention or explore someone’s profile without their awareness. If you prefer to browse inconspicuously, it is necessary to know how to appear offline on Facebook.
Seeing the need to appear offline on Facebook, the social media platform has made it very easy to go incognito, whether you are using a desktop computer or the Facebook app on your smartphone. Regardless of how frequently you use Facebook, your friends, and family will be unable to detect your presence if you choose to appear offline.
How to Appear Offline on Facebook
To appear offline on Facebook, all you need to do is to turn off your active status. Note that if you turn off your active status, you won’t be able to see if other people are online or not. This means you can’t tell if they are using the app or not. If this is okay with you, then you can try these mediums.
Method 1: Use the Facebook App
To appear offline on Facebook from the app, follow these simple steps:
- Log in to your Facebook app if you haven’t already. Open the menu by tapping the three horizontal lines located at the top right corner of your screen.
- From the menu, select “Settings & Privacy” and then tap on “Settings“.
- Scroll down until you find “Active Status“.
- If the toggle next to “Active Status” is on, your friends can see when you’re active. To turn it off, simply tap the toggle and make sure it turns grey.
- Once you’ve turned off your active status, you won’t be able to see when others are active either.
Method 2: Use Messenger App
The Messenger app is an instant messaging platform that can be linked to your Facebook account. It is a distinct application designed to manage Facebook messaging. In addition to using the Facebook app, you can disable your active status directly from the Messenger app. To accomplish this, you must sign in to the app and deactivate your status.
If you want to use the Messenger app without revealing your presence, these instructions can help you stay incognito:
- First, launch the app and sign in. If you’ve already signed in before, there’s no need to enter your email and password again.
- Next, navigate to the home tab. You’ll see your profile picture in the upper-left corner of the screen. Tap on the picture.
- At the top of the screen, you’ll see an Active Status option. Tap on it to turn off the button labeled “Show when you’re active.“
By disabling your Messenger app’s active status, you can now send messages to whomever you choose without alerting the contacts you wish to avoid.
Method 3: Use a Desktop Computer/Laptop
To access Facebook on your desktop, simply open your favorite web browser. If you were previously logged in, you’ll be directed to your Facebook home page upon accessing the site. However, if you logged out during your previous session, you’ll need to log back in. If you want to appear offline, here’s what you can do:
- Log in by entering your email address and password. Look for a gear icon (Settings) located in the lower right corner of your screen, within the chat bar.
- Click on the gear icon and select the “Turn off active status for all contacts” option. If you want to appear offline only to certain contacts, choose one of the other two available options.
- Confirm your selection by clicking the “Okay” button.
Once you click Okay, you will become offline and your friends will not be able to see your presence on Facebook.
To appear offline on Facebook in all mediums, just turn off your “active status”. But if you do this, you won’t be able to see who’s online either. If you want to avoid people you don’t like, you can also block them on Facebook. However, it’s possible to have good relationships with everyone. Cheers!