This article answers the following question | Will 4G LTE Sim work on 3G or 2G phone? What to do when using a 4G SIM on 3G or 2G phone? Can I use my 4G data plans on a 3G network (3G & 2G only phone)?
4G LTE network is the next generation network, it allows you to browse, stream, download and upload at the speed of light. The 4G LTE internet speed is pretty awesome, the minimum network speed I’ve experienced is about 7-8Mb/s. Anyway, let’s switch back to the main purpose of this article.
People have asked different questions about the 4G LTE service in Nigeria. See the following FAQs below;
Will 4G LTE SIM work on 3G or 2G phone?
It’s very normal to ask this type question and I’ll say, YES! Your MTN, Glo & Etisalat 4G LTE Sim can work on any 3G/2G phone.
- Airtel 4G LTE SIM: they’ve not kicked off 4G service in Nigeria.
- Etisalat 4G LTE SIM: this sim works perfectly, it doesn’t need going to Etisalat’s offices to change your old 3G SIM to a 4G SIM just like MTN and Glo. Perhaps, Etisalat 4G SIM works with 3G phone.
- GLO 4G LTE SIM: To use 4G network, you must change your 3G SIM to a 4G enabled SIM, though Glo 4G SIM works with 3G phone.
- MTN 4G LTE SIM: To use 4G network, you must change your 3G SIM to a 4G enabled SIM, though MTN 4G SIM works with 3G phone.
What to do when using a 4G SIM on 3G or 2G phone?
- Go to phone settings,
- Under wireless & network, Click More,
- Select mobile network,
- Select preferred network type,
- Choose 2G, 3G only or 3G/2G (Auto).
- That’s it, you’re done, your network should restart in 20-30 seconds.
Can I use my 4G data plans on a 3G network (3G & 2G only phone)?
After after the settings above, you can however, use all networks 4G LTE data plans on any preferred network of your choice.
Note: You will only experience a drop in internet speed.
Other 4G LTE related questions.
Here are other questions associated with the new 4G LTE service in Nigeria, click on them to see possible solution.