Speech therapy apps are your one-stop tool to help your children learn how to speak and pronounce words easily. This ensures that they’re confident if they happen to be in public places like schools, churches, hospitals, and large gatherings for events. There are a lot more other uses that these apps are designed for.
If you find yourself or your child stammering when speaking, these apps can help control or totally stop it. They come with AI-based speech features that help to combat stuttering when speaking. These apps are most effective for children and toddlers. Due to the flexibility of these apps, almost anyone can make use of them.
Although there are lots of speech-learning apps out there for smartphones, I’ll only provide you with the best and most reliable ones to make use of. Therefore, this article on Naijaknowhow depicts a list of the best speech therapy apps for children and people who stutter when speaking. They’re free to use and are available for all devices. Let’s delve right in.
List of the Best Speech Therapy Apps for Android and iOS
If you’re not able to afford physical speech therapy for your child or yourself, then these apps would help you greatly. Meanwhile, we’ve also covered a list of the best language-learning apps that may help you learn to speak and understand various languages in the world.
1. Conversation Therapy
I’m thrilled to share my enthusiasm for the incredible benefits that Conversation Therapy brings to individuals facing challenges with speech, particularly adults dealing with autism or speech impairment due to a stroke. This remarkable app isn’t limited by age, making it an equally valuable resource for children and teens.
Conversation Therapy can improve language and social skills through effective lessons. The convenience it offers is a game-changer, enabling users to undergo therapy in the comfort of their homes, eliminating the need for additional expenses on speech therapists and accommodation. The app’s adaptability shines through with adjustable settings, ensuring that each lesson is tailored to meet individual needs.
- Improves language and social skills.
- Offers convenient therapy at home.
- No extra cost for therapists or travel.
- Adjustable settings for individual needs.
- It is useful for children, teens, and adults.
- May lack the feel of face-to-face therapy.
- Requires self-motivation and discipline to stay on track.
- Effectiveness might be limited for complex cases.
- Distractions at home could hinder progress.
- Lack of human connection might feel isolating.
SymboTalk is a free app that talks for you by clicking on symbols (images or icons). This app has predefined communication boards from different areas of life, and each board contains symbols (images). Clicking on a symbol reads it aloud and adds it to a sentence that can also be read. This way SymboTalk can be your voice and talk for you.
SymboTalk is an augmentative and alternative communication system which is also regarded as AAC. It is designed to make communication boards for any use. This app is mainly for those whose physical or mental condition does not allow them to speak for themselves, For example, people with Autism, Asperger’s, or anyone on the autistic spectrum, etc.
- The app is free to use.
- Has communication boards for different areas of life.
- Symbols can be read aloud and added to a sentence.
- Usable by people with physical or mental conditions.
- It can make communication boards for any use.
- May not be suitable for all communication needs
- Predefined boards may not be relevant to all users
- May require assistance from others to set up and use.
Huni is a speech recognition-powered speech training app, designed for children specifically. This app prompts you to a list of words to say, you can listen to the pronunciations and then one-by-one repeat it out loud. The app will recognize the ones you pronounce correctly and you can always try multiple times and train your speech.
Huni can be regarded as a personal speech therapist. The app is made for children with delayed speech or non-verbal kids in mind (speech pathology). Additionally, kids with developmental disorders (apraxia and stuttering) can use Huni to get better at speaking (language therapy). This makes it to be one of the best speech therapy apps for mobile.
- Offers a fun and engaging way to improve speech
- Comes with personalized speech therapy
- Helps children with delayed speech or non-verbal kids
- Can be used by kids with developmental disorders
- May not be effective for all children
- Repetitive nature might become boring for some children.
- Lack of real-time feedback could lead to frustration.
- It is limited compared to a professional speech therapist.
4. CommBoards Lite
Commboards is an AAC Speech Assistance app that enables children and people of all ages with limited verbal abilities to express themselves and more easily communicate with the world around them, by utilizing a proven system of communication boards. With this app, you can help your child or loved one communicate in an intuitive and fun way.
After downloading CommBoards, no internet connection or mobile contract is necessary for continuous use. You can use CommBoards in almost any environment, like schools, hospitals, and even during flights. CommBoards image bank contains a rich collection of easy-to-understand imagery, as well as the option to add existing images from your smartphone.
- Helps people with limited verbal abilities communicate.
- Proven system of communication boards.
- No internet connection or mobile contract needed.
- Can be used in almost any environment.
- Rich collection of easy-to-understand imagery.
- Has option to add images from your smartphone.
- May not be suitable for all communication needs.
- Requires some training to use effectively.
- Can’t access online resources or communities.
- Paid app with in-app purchases.
With the Stamurai app, you can easily overcome stuttering or stammering with its AI-based speech therapy. Stamurai is the one-stop stuttering treatment app for everyone. This stuttering therapy app comes with customization options for daily at-home practice for all ages. This app allows you to set a daily reminder to practice your speech exercises.
Learn all there is to know about stuttering causes, stuttering treatment, and speech therapy. Learn, practice, and apply stuttering modification techniques and fluency-shaping strategies in your speech during day-to-day conversations. This is one of the best speech therapy apps for people who stammer when speaking.
- One-stop solution for all ages.
- Customizable daily at-home practice.
- Set reminders for daily exercises.
- Learn about stuttering, treatments, and therapy.
- Practice and apply fluency-shaping strategies.
- Best speech therapy app for people who stammer.
- Not a replacement for professional speech therapy.
- May not be effective for all types of stuttering.
- Requires commitment and consistent practice.
- Cost of the app may be a barrier for some users.
Are you a parent struggling with your toddler’s speech delay or communication problems? If yes, then you might find SpeakEasy to be a helpful tool. It is a speech therapy app that is specifically designed for toddlers in their early language development phase. This app contains a range of language activities that are developed for kids.
SpeakEasy focuses on evidence-based language learning techniques, which allow parents to incorporate language development into their daily activities. The app includes pre-defined activities that are designed to enhance your toddler’s skills, and you can earn points and unlock new features for a better user experience.
- Designed for toddlers’ speech development.
- Combines language activities with daily routines.
- Uses evidence-based learning techniques.
- Pre-defined activities target specific skills.
- Earn points and unlock features for motivation.
- May not be suitable for all toddlers.
- Effectiveness depends on consistent parental involvement.
- Limited information on long-term benefits.
- Requires additional resources for deeper support.
Otsimo is a speech therapy app that aims to help children with communication difficulties, such as speech delay, autism, apraxia, stuttering, and aphasia. It uses voice and speech recognition technology to understand what the child is saying and offers more than 200 articulation exercises to improve pronunciation.
The app features exciting categories, like the tongue acrobatics family, to make learning fun for kids. Each exercise also comes with funny filters, adding to the fun factor. With Otsimo, parents can empower their children to improve their communication skills and build their confidence, all while having fun. This app is worth giving a try!
- Fun categories & funny filters to keep kids engaged
- Over 200 articulation exercises to improve pronunciation
- Helps children with communication difficulties
- Builds confidence and communication skills
- No offline mode, requires internet connection
- Limited customization options for exercises
- Reports focus more on data than progress insights
- Does not replace the need for professional speech therapy
8. Apraxia Therapy Lite
As we age, we may encounter speech disorders or communication difficulties due to brain damage, accidents, or specific medical conditions. These issues can be incredibly frustrating and may cause a loss of confidence. However, the Apraxia Therapy Lite app is an effective speech therapy tool that can help individuals overcome these challenges.
The app offers various useful features, including videos that demonstrate mouth movements to train your listening and speaking skills. You can also repeat the audio and practice speaking alone with visual support. Many adults have successfully improved their speech and regained their confidence by using Apraxia Therapy Lite app.
- Has videos to demonstrate mouth movements for easy learning.
- Repeat audio and practice alone with visual support.
- Many adults have improved their speech and regained confidence.
- Free version may not have all the tools you need.
- App cannot replace speech therapist.
- Regular practice is necessary to see results.
- Not everyone will see the same improvement.
9. Reach Speech
If you’re looking for a speech therapy app that can help your child improve their speech development, Reach Speech is worth considering. It’s a game-based app that has been specifically designed for children and is based on their natural stages of development.
This app is developed by experts in both pedagogy and speech therapy, so you can be sure that your child is getting the best possible experience. Reach Speech app can be used by parents of children with apraxia or dysarthria. The app features fun and engaging games that are designed to motivate children to actively practice their speaking skills.
- Game-based design keeps kids engaged and motivated.
- Developed by experts in speech therapy and pedagogy.
- Fun and engaging activities designed for children.
- Can be used by parents of children with apraxia.
- The app is not be suitable for all children.
- Requires a consistent commitment from parents.
- Effectiveness may vary depending on the severity of the child’s speech disorder.
10. Speech Blubs
Speech Blubs is an app that parents trust to help their children develop speech skills. With over 3 million parents already on board, the app features more than 1500 activities that make learning fun and interactive. Its unique voice control feature is designed to encourage children to learn new sounds and words, making it an excellent tool for children with speech delay.
The app includes 25 fun-filled sections, each designed to help children acquire new sounds and words from their environment. As your child progresses, they can collect stickers in their sticker book, making learning even more enjoyable. If you’re looking to boost your child’s speech skills, Speech Blubs is a must-have application.
- Over 1500 activities to make learning fun
- Helps children learn new sounds and words
- 25 fun-filled sections target specific skills
- Sticker book motivates and rewards progress
- Trusted by over 3 million parents
- Cost might be a concern for some
- No guarantee of success for every child
- Effectiveness might differ depending on each child’s needs
- Not a replacement for professional speech therapy.
11. Language Therapy for Kids
If you’re a parent of a child with autism, you may be searching for effective ways to support your child’s language development. That’s where this application comes in. It offers a unique therapy called MITA, which has been shown to improve language skills in thousands of children with autism and speech delays.
Parents trust this app to help their children overcome speech delays. With support for multiple languages, including English, Spanish, French, Chinese, and more, this app is accessible to families of diverse backgrounds. If you’re looking for an innovative and effective way to support your child’s language development, this app may be just what you need.
- Offers MITA therapy to improve language skills
- Helps children overcome speech delays.
- The app does support multiple languages.
- Offers an Innovative way for language development.
- May require expensive subscription for full access.
- Effectiveness vary depending on individual needs.
- Screen time might be overwhelming for children.
- Limited interaction with real people could affect social development.
LetMeTalk is an exceptional Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) application, designed with inclusivity at its core by providing a voice to all users. The app boasts a vast collection of over 9,000 images meticulously sourced from ARASAAC, enhancing the user experience by facilitating the creation of meaningful and easily comprehensible sentences.
Encouraging a step-by-step approach, LetMeTalk motivates users to arrange these images in a sequential order, fostering the development of coherent sentences that serve as a powerful means of communication with others. This unique methodology empowers individuals to progress gradually, building their proficiency in constructing personalized words and sentences.
- Huge image library (over 9,000)
- Easy-to-understand images from ARASAAC
- Step-by-step sentence building
- Supports gradual learning and communication
- May not be suitable for everyone
- Needs some cognitive ability
- Building complex sentences can be time-consuming
There you have it, the best speech therapy apps that’ll help your kids to learn how to speak and pronounce words with ease. These apps will help control stuttering or stammering when speaking. They are free to use, so you need not worry about making payment for any extra feature. Download and enjoy using them!