How to use a VPN is also very easy, almost the same as using an application on a smartphone. Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a connection method that creates a user’s internet network, encrypted on a public network.
VPN services allow more secure connections from hackers, viruses, malware, and data leaks, and can access blocked sites. VPNs are not only used privately but are also widely used by large companies to protect sensitive data.
Without further ado, let’s dive right into this article on Naijaknowhow.
Functions of Using a VPN
Before knowing how to use a VPN, you should first know the following VPN usage functions.
- Encrypt data transfer: Using a VPN keeps your data protected even when using a public WiFi network.
- Hide location: Using a VPN also allows you to choose another country for internet connection information, so that no one can find out your real location.
- Hide IP address: With the help of a VPN, the IP address you use will not be able to be tracked by the public so your privacy is more protected.
- Access blocked sites: VPN also functions to access sites that are blocked by the government and avoid area restrictions.
- Speed up internet connection: VPNs can actually increase the internet speed you use but are still safe.
Type of VPN
VPN is known to be divided into two, namely free VPN and paid VPN. The following is an explanation of the differences between the two types of VPN.
Free VPN is free to use by its users without being charged any fees. Free VPNs are found in many VPN applications for mobile phones.
VPN applications on Android and iOS phones include Turbo VPN, TunnelBear, Hide.me, Hotspot Shield, Windscribe VPN, and many more. However, the shortcomings of this free VPN are the annoying advertisements, restrictions on data usage, and the connection that sometimes slows down.
A paid VPN is the right choice for those of you who want to use it for business, for a higher quality experience.
The price offered also varies, depending on the speed and location of the server used. Usually, paid VPNs are found in VPNs provided for PCs, such as Express VPN, Strong VPN, Nord VPN, or you can upgrade free VPNs to premium.
Easy Ways to Use a VPN
Using a VPN is basically the same as using an application on a cellphone. Just install and open the application then follow the instructions. But no need to worry, we have summarized an easy tutorial on how to use a VPN on PC, Android and iOS that you can practice.
1. How to use a VPN on a PC
How to use a VPN on a PC either Windows or Mac can use a VPN application called TunnelBear.
Here are the steps you can apply.
- Visit the tunnelbear.com website
- Click Apps then select the Mac or Windows platform according to the PC
- Click Get TunnelBear to install the application
- Open the TunnelBear application
- Slide the On / Off switch to On
- TunnelBear will immediately connect automatically
2. How to use a VPN on Android
Using a VPN on Android is not difficult, it only requires a few easy steps. Here’s an easy tutorial to use a VPN application for Android, specifically Private VPN.
- Download the Private VPN app from the Play Store
- Open the Private VPN application
- Select a country such as England or the United Kingdom
- Click Connect
- Wait a few moments for the VPN to connect successfully
- Click Disconnect to disconnect if needed
3. How to set up a VPN on iOS
Using a VPN on iOS can be done in a few easy steps. In the following, Naijaknowhow shares how to set VPN on iOS with the Turbo VPN application.
- Download the Turbo VPN app from the App Store
- Open the Turbo VPN application and a Touch ID access notification will appear
- Select Allow and enter Touch ID
- Turbo VPN will connect automatically
- The VPN logo will appear in the notification bar as a sign that the VPN is successfully connected
Well, that’s an easy tutorial on how to use a VPN on PC, Android and iOS that you can practice. I hope you find this article helpful and don’t forget to use it wisely!