For those who are looking for MTN NIN Code, this article on Naijaknowhow comprises all the various ways you can link your NIN to your MTN line.
National Identification Number linkage is now an obligatory process to owning a SIM card in Nigeria. The NCC (Nigerian Communications Commission) made the consequences of not linking your NIN to your SIM card clear, they warned that existing SIM users who don’t abide by the new policy would be immediately cut-off. Notwithstanding, new subscribers can only use a SIM that has been properly registered and linked.
For those who are probably new to this, NIN which stands for National Identification Number is a unique 11 digits generated number assigned to every individual in Nigeria that has successfully applied for their National Identity Card.
The process for registering for NIN has been simplified due to the traffic caused by the mandatory linkage of NIN to your MTN, various stations around you help you in registering to get a NIN. In fact, telecommunication companies have also been permitted to register users who don’t own a NIN.
How to register for NIN
For those who are yet to register for their NIN, you can visit the NIMC enrolment centres or your preferred network provider centres to register your National Identification Number.
Here’s a quick guide to register for NIN:
- Fill up the NIMC pre-enrolment form online by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal, download and print Pre Enrolment Slip.
- Submit your application at the nearest NIMC Registration Centre.
- NIN issuance.
How to get your NIN on MTN
Nevertheless, for those who have already registered but can’t remember their NIN, you can dial *346# directly on your phone to retrieve your NIN on MTN.
Ways to Link NIN to your MTN Line in Nigeria
To link the National Identification Number to your MTN number, you can do it in three ways, by using USSD, using the MyMTN app and also by linking from MTN NIN Portal.
Link NIN on MTN via USSD Code
MTN NIN Code for linking is *785# and it only works for MTN lines alone. If you already have your NIN, just follow the steps below.
- Dial *785*your NIN# then wait for a prompt message that’ll say you’ve successfully submitted your National Identification Number.
- If you get an error response, then you have to try again or just wait for some time.
Link NIN via MTN NIN Portal
- Visit MTN online NIN portal
- Fill in your First Name, Last Name, Middle Name (optional), Phone Number, National Identification Number, Email Number.
- Then “submit”.
Link NIN on MTN via MyMTN App
- Download MyMTN App from Google Play Store or App Store, and if you already have it, then you can ignore it.
- Open MyMTN App, then log in using your MTN number, on the home screen you’ll see something like what’s in the picture below.
- Click on proceed, then on the page, put your MTN number, Notification email and your National Identification Number in the boxes shown. Then click Submit.
How to Link NIN on Other Networks
Now that you’ve learned how to link NIN to your MTN line, you don’t have to be scared of getting disconnected from your SIM. However, if you don’t have a NIN yet, you can visit the NIMC enrolment centres using the link shared above to register for your National Identification Number. Also, if you’re a subscriber on other networks (Airtel, Glo, 9mobile, ntel etc.), you can learn how to link your NIN here.