For those who are looking for MTN NIN Code, this article on Naijaknowhow comprises all the various ways you can link your NIN to your MTN line. The National Identification Number linkage is now an obligatory process for owning a SIM card in Nigeria. The NCC (Nigerian Communications Commission) made the consequences of not linking your NIN to your SIM card clear, they warned that existing SIM users who don’t abide by the new policy would be immediately cut off. Notwithstanding, new subscribers can only use a SIM that has been properly registered and linked.
For those who are probably new to this, NIN which stands for National Identification Number is a unique 11 digits generated number assigned to every individual in Nigeria that has successfully applied for their National Identity Card.
The process for registering for NIN has been simplified due to the traffic caused by the mandatory linkage of NIN to your MTN, various stations around you help you in registering to get a NIN. In fact, telecommunication companies have also been permitted to register users who don’t own a NIN.
How to register for NIN
For those who are yet to register for their NIN, you can visit the NIMC enrolment centres or your preferred network provider centres to register your National Identification Number.
Here’s a quick guide to register for NIN:
- Fill up the NIMC pre-enrolment form online by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal, download and print Pre Enrolment Slip.
- Submit your application at the nearest NIMC Registration Centre.
- NIN issuance.
How to get your NIN on MTN
Nevertheless, for those who have already registered but can’t remember their NIN, you can dial *346# directly on your phone to retrieve your NIN on MTN.
4 Ways to Link NIN to your MTN Line in Nigeria
To link the National Identification Number to your MTN number, you can do it in four different ways — using USSD, using the MyMTN app, linking from MTN NIN Portal and through the NIMC Mobile ID application.
Link NIN on MTN via USSD Code
MTN NIN Code for linking is *785# and it only works for MTN lines alone. If you already have your NIN, just follow the steps below.
- Dial *785*your NIN# to link your National Identification Number (NIN) on MTN. After dialling, wait for a prompt message that’ll show that you’ve successfully submitted your NIN.
If you get an error response, then you have to try again or just wait for some time before retrying.
Link NIN via MTN NIN Portal
- Visit MTN online NIN portal
- Fill in your First Name, Last Name, Middle Name (optional), Phone Number, National Identification Number, Email Number.
- Then “submit”.
Link NIN on MTN via MyMTN App
- Download MyMTN App from Google Play Store or App Store, and if you already have it, then you can ignore it.
- Open MyMTN App, then log in using your MTN number, on the home screen you’ll see something like what’s in the picture below.
- Click on proceed, then on the page, put your MTN number, Notification email and your National Identification Number in the boxes shown. Then click Submit.
Link NIN on MTN via NIMC MobileID App
If after following all the various steps explained above, yet you’re still facing difficulty linking your NIN to your MTN line, you may try out this last step. This method is quite different from the rest as it requires you to download the NIMC application directly from your mobile app store.
Mobile Web Services (MWS) is a very useful application that was introduced in 2021 that serves as a new suite of Personal Identity tokens and services, developed, administered and managed by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
To get started:
- First, you have to download the ‘MWS: NIMC MobileID’ application on Google Play Store for Android devices or App Store for iOS devices. You can use the download buttons below.
Developer: NIMC Mobile ID TeamPrice: FreeDeveloper: National Identity Management CommissionPrice: Free
- Launch the application and insert your NIN and phone number. An OTP is sent to your phone number for verification (OTP is valid for 30 minutes).
- Once that’s out of the way, you’ll be required to create a 6 digit password/PIN. You will always need that 6-digit PIN to sign in to your NIMC mobile app dashboard.
- On your dashboard, select the LINK MY NUMBERS option to add and validate your MTN line. You can add up to 7 mobile numbers using this application and an OTP is required to verify all numbers added.
Note: The NIMC has said that only those who link their phone numbers to the app before the 31st of January 2021 will receive free OTP for verifications. However, after the date, network operators will choose the amount to be charged on SMS.
That’s it, that’s how you link your NIN on MTN via the NIMC MobileID app. You can check below if you need to learn how to connect NIN on your other lines.
How to Link NIN on Other Networks
Now that you’ve learned how to link NIN to your MTN line, you don’t have to be scared of getting disconnected from your SIM. However, if you don’t have a NIN yet, you can visit the NIMC enrolment centres using the link shared above to register for your National Identification Number. Also, if you’re a subscriber on other networks (Airtel, Glo, 9mobile, ntel etc.), you can learn how to link your NIN here.
If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for tech video tutorials. You can also find us on Twitter and Facebook.
Thanks for sharing excellent information’s. Your web-site is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this web site.
Nice 👍 Thumbs Up
Can I use any of the methods when my line is already blocked?
My line is blocked, disperse my nin number.rubbish
Pls u guys should leave our line
Thank God for the life