Linking your NIN to your numbers has been made mandatory by The Nigerian Communications Commission and they’ve made it clear that anyone who doesn’t link his or her NIN to their sim card will be disconnected.
Having NIN and not having NIN is a different situation and if you have your NIN, I’m sure you wouldn’t want your number to be disconnected by your service provider. Therefore in this article, I’ll be teaching you how to link your NIN Airtel, Glo, MTN, 9mobile, ntel, Spectranet and Smile number.
Linking your NIN to your numbers is as simple as checking data balances on your sim card and you can do that easily. So if you have your NIN with you and you don’t know how to link it with your numbers, then use this article to guide yourself.
Before I start, I’ll like to give you a clear insight into what NIN stands for and why it’s mandatory to have it linked with your sim cards. So before I write down the steps of linking NIN, I’ll state what NIN is in the next paragraph.
What is NIN?
National Identification Number (NIN) is a unique 11 digits generated number assigned to every individual in Nigeria, whether you’re born here or from overseas, it is mandatory to have NIN if you want to live and have access to having a registered business, a corporate bank account or even if you want to board a plane.
National Identification Number qualifies you as a citizen of Nigeria and your name and information will be stored in the National Identity Database (NIDB).
Don’t have a NIN, how do I get it?
For those who are yet to register for their NIN, you can visit the NIMC enrolment centres to register your National Identification Number. However, for those who have already registered but can’t remember their NIN, you can dial *346# directly on your phone.
Now, let’s delve right into it… Here’s how to link your National Identification Number to your SIMs.
NIN Link Codes (Summary Table)
How to link your NIN to SIM (All Networks) – Airtel, Glo, MTN, 9mobile, Spectranet, ntel and Smile
To link National Identification Number to your MTN number, you can do it in three ways, by using MyMTN app, by using USSD and also linking from MTN NIN Portal. MTN NIN linking code is *785# and it only works for MTN lines alone.
Link NIN on MTN via USSD Code
- Dial *785*your NIN# then wait for a prompt message that’ll say you’ve successfully submitted your National Identification Number.
- If you get an error response, then you have to try again or just wait for some time.
Link NIN via MTN NIN Portal
- Visit MTN online NIN portal
- Fill in your First Name, Last Name, Middle Name (optional), Phone Number, National Identification Number, Email Number.
- Then “submit”.
Link NIN on MTN via MyMTN App
- Download MyMTN App from Google Play Store, and if you already have it, you can ignore.
- Open MyMTN App, then log in using your MTN number, on the home screen you’ll see something like what’s in the picture below.
- Click on proceed, then on the page, put your MTN number, Notification email and your National Identification Number in the boxes shown. Then click Submit.
You can link your National Identification Number to your Glo numbers using just three methods, you can link via USSD code, via their portal and you can also link it using SMS.
Link NIN on Glo via USSD Code
- Dial *109# to link your National Identification Number (NIN) on Glo.
Link NIN on Glo via Glo NIN Portal
- Visit Gloworld NIN Portal
- Put your details correctly in each box: First Name, Last Name, Middle Name (optional), Phone Number, National Identity Number (NIN), and Email Address.
- Complete the process by entering the two-digit numbers shown, then click on submit.
Link NIN on Glo via SMS
- You can also link NIN on your Glo numbers by just sending ‘UPDATENIN NIN FirstName and LastName’ to 109 e.g ‘UPDATENIN 12345678903 Firstname Lastname’ to 109.”
Link NIN on Airtel via USSD Code
- Dial *121*1# then you’ll be redirected to the portal to enter your NIN. Immediately insert your National Identification Number to complete registration.
Link NIN via Airtel NIN Portal
- Visit airtel.com.ng/nin/
- Then input your Airtel number, be it Mobile Number, MiFi, Router or ODU
- Then click on proceed then confirm OTP code
- Now insert your National Identification Number and finish it up.
Link NIN on 9mobile via USSD Code
- Dial *200*8# to link your National Identification Number (NIN) on 9mobile.
Link NIN via 9mobile NIN Portal
- Visit the 9mobile NIN portal via this link.
- Fill in the boxes with the required info
- Click on submit and wait for the SMS that’ll be sent to your 9mobile number.
Aside from having to link your National Identification Number to your regular networks, it’s also required for platforms such as Spectranet, ntel and Smile since you need a SIM to make them work.
5. How to link NIN to your Spectranet SIM
- Firstly, visit https://unin.spectranet.com.ng to get started.
- Enter your 8 digits Spectranet user ID to get started.
- Select your preferred verification method, you can choose between verifying with your ‘registered phone number’ or ‘NIN’.
- After filling your preferred verification method; for example ‘Registered Phone Number’, an OTP/Selfcare Authentication would be required to proceed.
- Enter the OTP (One Time Password) sent to your phone number and email address then click SUBMIT.
There you go!
6. How to link NIN to your Smile SIM
- To update your KYC with Smile, visit any Smile shop near you with your National Identification Number, or send your NIN and registered phone number to [email protected]
Also, you can do this by yourself by downloading the MySmile mobile app >> enter Username and Password to sign in, then follow the prompt to update your NIN.
7. How to link NIN to your ntel SIM
- Visit the ntel NIN portal via this Link >> https://www.ntel.com.ng/nin/
- Fill in the boxes with the required info
Click on submit and wait for the SMS that’ll be sent to your ntel number.
Now that you’ve learned how to link NIN to your Airtel, Glo, MTN, 9mobile, Spectranet, Smile and ntel numbers, you’re safe from getting disconnected, and if you don’t have a National Identification Number yet, you can visit the NIMC enrolment centres to register your National Identification Number.