Linking of NIN is now a compulsory process as long as you’re a Nigerian and use the Airtel line. Months ago, the NCC made it mandatory for all the customers of Airtel to link their SIM with their unique National Identification Number. In this article on Naijaknowhow, we have taken our time to explain how to link NIN to your Airtel line in Nigeria.
For those who don’t know what a NIN is, this acronym stands for National Identification Number. You only get this unique 11 digit number when you enrol for a National Identity Card in Nigeria.
That said, let’s jump right in as we explore everything there is to know about NIN and how to link it to your Airtel line without leaving the comfort of your home.
How to register for NIN
Those who are yet to enrol for their NIN can visit any NIMC Enrolment Centres or your preferred telco centres (some network providers have been authorised to enrol people for NIN) to register your National Identification Number.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide to register for NIN:
- Fill the NIMC Pre Enrolment online form by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal, download and print Pre Enrolment Slip.
- Submit your application at the nearest NIMC Registration Centre.
- NIN issuance.
How to retrieve your NIN on Airtel
If you have previously registered but can’t remember your NIN, dialling *346# directly on your phone would instantly unveil your NIN on your Airtel-powered device.
How to link NIN to your Airtel Line or SIM in Nigeria
To link your National Identification Number to your Airtel line can be done in three different ways. You can link by using the Airtel NIN Code, Airtel NIN Portal or through the NIMC MobileID App. You will find detailed explanations of these three methods below.
Method 1: Link via Airtel NIN Code
Airtel NIN Code for linking is *121*1# and it only works for Airtel lines. If you already have your NIN, just follow the steps below to link it.
- Dial *121*1# to link your National Identification Number (NIN) on Airtel. Afterwards, you’ll be automatically redirected to the portal to enter your NIN, and immediately insert your NIN to complete registration.
Method 2: Link via Airtel NIN Portal
- Visit airtel.com.ng/nin/
- Then input your Airtel number, be it Mobile Number, MiFi, Router or ODU
- Then click on proceed then confirm the OTP code
- Now insert your National Identification Number and finish it up.
Method 3: Link via NIMC MobileID App
Alternatively, if you’ve tried the methods above but didn’t get a positive result, then try using the NIMC MobileID App. This method, however, requires you to have your National Identification Number (NIN) issued by the National Identity Management Commission or one of its accredited agents and a Mobile Number (which you used during enrolment for the NIN) – to receive an OTP for installing the Mobile ID app.
- To learn more about this method, kindly read this article on how to link your phone number(s) to your NIN using the NIMC MobileID App on Android or iOS devices.
NIN Link Codes for Other Networks
Now that you’ve learned how to link NIN to your Airtel line, you don’t have to be panicked about getting disconnected. Nevertheless, if you don’t have a NIN yet, you can visit the NIMC Enrolment Centres through the link shared above. Also, if you’re a subscriber on other networks (MTN, Glo, 9mobile, ntel etc.), you can learn how to link your NIN here. If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for tech video tutorials. You can also find us on Twitter and Facebook.
More on Telco: