In Qualcomm’s tech event in Hawaii, the company announced what citizens in the smartphone universe have been waiting for: The Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 is now official.
The Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 SoC is the successor of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC, a chipset that’s found in most of the top smartphones this year. Around the same time its predecessor was announced last year; this new chipset also gets its announcement.
Previously, several rumours were out in the open about Qualcomm’s next flagship chip being named the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8150. Later on, new reports surfaced to suggest that the new flagship will instead be Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 SoC. Well, the later has now been confirmed by the giant tech company itself.
Based on the 7nm process technology, this chipset will function better in general performance and efficiency. In line with its general performance, it’ll also expend less battery capacity due to the 7nm process’s optimisation skills.
Compared to its older generation, the chipset will perform triple times better in Artificial Intelligence (AI) functions. For this to happen, the San Diego chip giant added the Qualcomm’s 4th-gen multi-core AI engine.
Also, fingerprint security is also improved as the chip bags the 3D sonic sensor. The sensor guarantees an ultrasonic fingerprint recognition, especially for in-display touch IDs. The positive implication of this is that more smartphones with in-display fingerprint sensors will surface next year.
As expected, the chip supports the 5G network standard recommended by the X50 modem.
However, the company explained that not all the chip models would have the next-in-line network connectivity. It was stated that the new X24 LTE modem would undoubtedly make it to the chipsets. Reason being that some manufacturers can get the chance to opt out of using 5G connectivity.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Key Features
- 7nm process technology
- 3D Sonic Sensor: Support for under-display fingerprint
- 4th-gen multi-core AI engine
- Computer Vision ISP: Improved photography and videography, Augmented Reality applications, [email protected]
- Qualcomm Elite Gaming
- Qualcomm Multi-Gigabit 5G; X50 Modem
More updates will follow as they unfold.
- Qualcomm Launches Snapdragon 675 With 11nm Process Technology
- Qualcomm Ready to Bring 5G to Smartphones in 2019
- Leaked Snapdragon 8150 Chipset Specifications
- Qualcomm Unveils Snapdragon 632, 439 & 429 SoCs for Mid-range and Budget Smartphones
- More Powerful Than Snapdragon 835/Helio P23? Spreadtrum SC9853I Modem Performance Exposed!