If you have been searching for how to share data on MTN with friends and families, then here is the right article for you on Naijaknowhow!
With MTN Data Share, subscribers can now transfer or share their data in Megabytes (MB) and Gigabytes (GB) easily using just one simple USSD code. This service is not data gifting nor is it data renewal. This one is basically for those who have existing data on their MTN SIM and wants to share it with other people. Works just like MTN airtime share which allows you to share your airtime as well.
Now, let’s see the steps involved if you want to start doing Father Christmas with your data.
Here Are 4 Ways to Transfer Data on MTN Easily:
Method 1: Share Data with MTN Data Gifting
MTN Data gifting is back and better, with MTN Data gifting service, you can send data bundle to your other smartphones, modems and tablets. With this service, you will pay for the Data bundle on their behalf.
Here is how to use the MTN Data Gifting service in four steps;
- Simply dial *123*3#, then reply with 7.
- After doing that, you’ll get a list of options to choose from. You can transfer data from your data balance, buy for a friend, or even request data from a friend.
- Kindly choose the option you wish to go for.
- Enter the friend’s MTN number, then select the amount of data you would like to share with the friend.
Take Note: You can only share data twice daily, the maximum data you can share daily is 200MB.
Method 2: Data Share (for postpaid subscribers)
Here is how MTN Data Share works… follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Activate an applicable data plan from the table below.
- Step 2: Dial *131*2*1# or text REG to 131; to register for MTN Data Share, you will receive a unique security PIN.
- Step 3: You are required to change the system generated PIN to a new PIN they can easily remember by dialling *131*2*5# or by texting Change OLD PIN NEW PIN NEW PIN to 131. E.g Change 0000 1234 to 13:1. Where 0000 is old PIN and 1234 is your new PIN.
- Step 4: After changing the PIN, you will need to add beneficiaries to your MTN shared Data Bundle account via USSD menu *131*2*3# or by texting Add to 131. You can add up to 5 beneficiaries.
- Step 5: Once you have added beneficiaries, you (the sponsor) will be able to share your available data bundle among the added beneficiaries by sending the keyword Share to 131 or simply dial USSD code *131*2*4#
MTN Data Share Only Applies To The Plans Listed Below
If you have decided to use the MTN data share service, please bear in mind that you can only use the data plans listed below.
Total Bundle (Data Plan + Data Delight) | Amount | Bundle Code | Validity
- 250MB + 125MB = 375MB | N1,300 | *109# | 30 Days
- 500MB + 250MB = 750MB | N2,000 | *110# | 30 Days
- 1GB + 500MB = 1.5GB | N3,500 | *111# | 30 Days
- 3GB + 1.5GB = 4.5GB | N6,500 | *129# | 30 Days
- 5GB + 2.5GB = 7.5GB | N8,000 | *101# | 30 Days
NOTE: Works for postpaid subscribers only!
Method 3: MTN SME Data Share
MTN SME Data Share is a prepaid service that allows business owners to buy data bundles and share them with their staff. This service is specifically designed for growing businesses offering them the ability to centrally manage internet usage per staff across their business.
To use this service, you are required to first migrate to the MTN SME Plus tariff plan by texting 460 to 131.
How to share data with a beneficiary
You can share data with any beneficiary by sending SMS below to 131 as shown in the table below (or dial *461# and follow the prompt):
|SMEA <PhoneNumber> 250 <PIN> to 131||250MB|
|SMEB <PhoneNumber> 500 <PIN> to 131||500MB|
|SMEC <PhoneNumber> 1000 <PIN> to 131||1GB|
|SMED <PhoneNumber> 2000 <PIN> to 131||2GB|
|SMEE <PhoneNumber> 5000 <PIN> to 131||5GB|
NOTE: You can only share data in multiples of 250MB, 500MB, 1GB, 2GB or 5GB. Sharing data in multiples of any other data sizes is not allowed.
- SMEA 08031234567 250 1234 = Correct Format!
- SMEA 08031234567 200 1234 = Wrong Format
- SMEB 08031234567 200 1234 = Wrong Format
- SMESHARE 08031234567 200 1234 = Wrong Format
Method 4: Share MTN Data via Hotspot
Lastly, there is one more option to share MTN data with friends but this doesn’t have anything to do with USSD code or SMS like the previous methods.
It’s simple, kindly follow the steps below to create a wireless connection with your smartphone.
Steps for Creating a Mobile Hotspot
- Open the smartphone Settings menu.
- Tap “More” in the “Wireless & networks” section.
- Tap the “Hotspot and Tethering” menu.
- Tap the “Mobile Hotspot” option to change your settings accordingly.
- Rename Mobile Hotspot and password.
- Check the “Mobile hotspot” box to enable the hotspot.
- Connect to the hotspot on another device.
Sharing Data Bundles on Other Networks:
- How to share data bundles on Glo
- How to transfer data on 9mobile (Etisalat)
- How to share data on Airtel
Oh, one last thing… If the above transfer code worked for you, then don’t forget to leave a comment via the comment box to help this article stay relevant and helpful.
I want share data on my phone
Is there no way for someone to just set it to share data with friends automatically when ever we recharge
There’s no way that I know of.
According to my test, Allavsoft is also a great alternative to keepvid.
It can batch download many video and music files at the same time.
It can download them to mp4, mp3, avi, mov, flac etc format.
Alout of thanks people’s
Good day sir
I bought a data from my bank to my phone can I share it using SMEA data share .
Why can’t he share it?
I’m glad it worked for you.
It isn’t working oo
Can’t bonus data be shared?
Code worked perfectly for me… Never been happier. Thanks.
I’m glad it worked.
Thanks for the info..but mine is saying service class not available for my network any possible solution pls?
Must we subscribe to the data plan b4 we can share data
N besides the amount 4 each sub is much
Why is everything in Nigeria odd? Even to shear data they are providing wrong code. Why why why?
Thanks a lot for this information.
Omo its not working at all
Comment: Mtchew, not working at all
prepared subscribers should have theirs too!!
we students will appreciate it pls
Not working Jo!!
Thanks for this info let me try it out
Y’all need to get informed , it’s strictly a postpaid service and not for prepaid subscribers.
Comment:Most very useless , but why wasting my time when you know that is not working?
Its not working any new ideas?
MTN is probably full of S***. This is the only method I know. If there are alternative ways, this article shall be updated.
I guess it’s not working bcs I didn’t subscribe to any of the mtn data plans you listed. Mtn don’t have sense. They ought to make the share for all data plans even if it’s as low as 100mb. They have plenty customers that’s why they can make all these unfair conditions.
Not working (command not available and unknown application) why?
I will check it out and contact CC right away. Thanks for the reply.